Monday 6 June 2011

Guilt

"Maybe I'll even confess the truth, that I rode in with the horsemen and beheld the apocolypse, but still I'll insist I was only a captive witness. What is the conqueror's wife if not a conquest herself?" p.g. 9

-This quote is said by Orleanna Price in the first chapter of the book, and is a metaphor for her relationship with Nathan Price. I think this quote is foreshadowing a major theme in this story, which is guilt. The horsemen is refering to her husband, the apocolypse; a tragic event that will happen because of his actions. Orleanna feels that she too has blood on her hands from doing nothing to stop her husband, and letting the tragic events unfold.

1 comment:

  1. Good one.
    Every time I read more from her perspective, this seems evident. I don't want to spoil anything, but you'll find later how there WAS an event that changed everything in their marriage, causing them to fall apart

    ReplyDelete